|Small Class Size|
- The small student to teacher ratio that Soldier Hollow provides enables the middle school teachers to really connect with each student. This is especially important at with this age group, where insecurities and social pressures can be overwhelming. Our teachers know each individual, and have a unique opportunity to cater lessons and attention to each student’s individual needs.
- By maintaining our small class size, we are able to provide many hands-on, meaningful, place-based learning opportunities.
|Curriculum & Academic Excellence|
- 6th Grade Language Arts & 6th Grade Social Studies- Thomas Wade brings 15 years of teaching experience, including teaching in international settings.
- 6-8 Math: Samantha Hughes brings 6 years of teaching experience. She is currently pursuing her Masters of Education with an emphasis in Mathematics.
- 7th & 8th Social Studies, 7th Health, 8th College and Career Awareness, & 6-8 Physical Education: Renae Higginson is in her third year at Soldier Hollow, and brings a variety of subject area expertise to our middle school.
- 6-8 Science: Stephanie MacDonald brings 6 years of teaching experience, including teaching at the high school level.
|State Testing Scores|
- Our middle school students have shown higher growth and proficiency on SAGE testing than most middle schools in the state of Utah with 75-79% proficiency in Language Arts and Science in 2016/17 and 2017/18.
|Preparation for High School and Beyond|
- Students are taking all required technology courses and are familiar with Canvas, SIS, Google classroom, Office, and many other programs used at the middle and high school levels.
- Our middle school program is designed to allow our electives to be student-interest driven. We survey our students in May to get an idea of what programs they would be interested in being involved in for the following school year.The 2018-2019 school year.
- The 2018-2019 school year offered Coding 101, Advanced Art and Design, Introduction to World Languages (specifically French), STEM Elevated, & Personal Fitness & Sport.
- A student-directed system helps balance student choice with curriculum goals and helps the students take responsibility for their learning goals. The support and guidance of the teachers who know the students so well will help them achieve their goals.
- The middle school program is designed to blend environmental education into the core curriculum (especially science) as well as additional learning opportunities. Throughout the school year, the middle school also spends Friday’s focusing on local, regional and national environmental issues.
- The middle school has worked with, and plans to continue to work with the Provo River Conservation Group in helping clean the Provo/Deer Creek area. Future projects with the group are in the works.
- The culmination of each middle school grade is the environmental-focused field trip the each class attends. 6th grade travels to the Teton Science School in Jackson, WY. The students spend 3 days immersed in the local ecology while learning to collect and analyze scientific data. 7th grade travels to Canyonlands in Utah to experience white-water rafting while learning about erosion, geological time-scale, and surviving in a local habitat. 8th grade travels to Catalina Environmental Leadership Program in California spending a week studying marine habitats.
- The middle school works with Provo River Conservation Group to assist cleaning our local Deer Creek/ Provo River area.
- The middle school sponsors a canned food drive in November.
- The middle school works with Charleston Town Hall to regularly sweep through the town of Charleston to provide litter pick up and removal.
- The middle school plans to donate a percentage of funds raised by the students to a local charity.
- The middle school parents have been an amazing asset in helping provide volunteer hours and ideas to aid our students achieve their goals for fundraising and community outreach.